In this highly interactive session, the country’s leading insurance companies that currently offer flood coverage will discuss their products and the rationale behind them. The session will start with individual presentations by insurance companies, followed by a panel discussion and an open forum Q&A with the audience. Discussion points will include:
- Brief overview of coverage per company, including limits, sub-limits, definitions of terms and policy wordings
- How are the mutuals approaching flood insurance?
- How do various carriers determine coverage and rate premium? How do the insurers determine high-risk flood zones and areas?
- Before AB, ON and Cape Breton floods: what did the carriers cover before as part of the homeowners insurance? What don’t they cover now?
- What are insurance companies doing to standardize their products?
- What are the carriers’ positions and processes on paying out claims?
- Discussion on product take-up rates and claims payouts. Why are the policy prices going up? Is this a result of paying out flood claims?
- Carriers’ positions on the population that is not eligible for flood coverage. What should we be doing with the uninsured?
Lapo Calamai - Director, Catastrophe Risk and Economic Analysis, Strategic
Initiatives, Insurance Bureau of Canada
Kristen Gill - Senior Vice President, Personal Lines Pricing and Development,
Donna Ince - Senior Vice President, Personal Insurance, RSA Canada
Lisa Guglietti - Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Property and
Casualty Manufacturing, The Co-operators
Bob Tisdale - President and Chief Operating Officer, Pembridge Insurance Company